CD COVER - layout

In keeping with my vintage theme, I really wanted to somehow give a 'ripped' effect to my CD, making it look old and worn. I made a few test pieces where I drew around a CD to get the correct dimensions, and then played around with brown parcel paper, ripping it and leaving a white strip where I could place my album artist and title. Having the text placed in white space would ensure that nothing takes away from the image itself, but also ensures that the text could be clearly seen against a plain background rather than being obstructed by a busy background image.


The first shows a rip down the right hand side of the CD cover (which could be flipped horizontally to move the white space to the left). I feel that this would not make a successful CD cover layout as any text e.g. the title and artist name would have to be aligned on its side, which would force the audience to tilt their head to be able to read it.

The second shows a rip along the bottom of the CD cover (which could be flipped vertically to move the white space to the top of the cover). Unlike the first example, which would prove frustrating to the reader, this layout allows the reader to see the name of the artist and album clearly at either the top or the bottom of the cover, however it would probably appear isolated against the image.

In order to overcome this isolation problem I decided to create a third test piece which involved a strip of brown paper being ripped from the lower half of the CD cover, leaving a small amount of brown paper at the bottom. I much preferred this layout, as it made the ripped effect much more obvious, with a full strip having been ripped off rather than just from the bottom. Furthermore, this would work quite well with my wallpaper idea as I could create the appearance that a strip has been ripped away from an actual wall, with some of the pattern missing.
The image above is a brief flat plan that I made to show the intended layout of my CD cover with the ripped effect towards the bottom of the page, with the pattern in the main image continuing for a short space after the ripped strip where my title and album artist text will be located.

No comments:

Post a Comment