STRUCTURALISM applied to my coursework

Anthony Goodwin;
I feel that my music video concept follows a number of Anthony Goodwin's theories of language use and structure in a music video. The first is 'Links between lyrics and visuals', which I have planned to embody by having one of my characters mouth the words to the song for some shots. I feel that the more emotional lines such as 
"I don't want you, and I don't need you anymore" 

would benefit from being shown coming from the character as I feel this would heighten the emotion of these words and will make them more believable, evoking an emotional reaction from the viewer. Furthermore, a lyric at the beginning of the song refers to holding hands, so I plan to film my two characters holding hands at this point, then gradually separating hands, which foreshadows their break up.
Another of Goodwin's theories of language use and structure in a music video that I feel links to my video is the similar 'Links between music and visuals'. The way in which I plan to do this involves a friend of mine coming with me to my location and actually playing the guitar melody for me to film. Because the guitar melody is so prominent at the beginning of the song I wanted to have someone playing it to give the video 'something else' to occupy the time rather than just the couple on screen throughout. Obviously, I plan to only film the guitar in a close up/extreme close up as I don't want to confuse the viewer by adding in another character, unless I choose to make the guitarist my main male character, which I have yet to decide.

Typical Structures;
My video concept, in my opinion, loosely follows a 'Fragmented' structure. Although it does have a narrative, it doesn't follow a solid 'fairy tale' structure whereby the couple break up, get back together and live happily ever after, etc. My narrative is literally that they're in the process of breaking up, but don't follow a string of events that decides their fate. I feel that this confusion/enigma is fitting for my chosen genre of Alternative/Indie, as videos from this genre rarely follow an obvious narrative like videos from Pop artists might.

Language Use;
Genre reflected language use is something that will be evident in my video. An example of this is in the editing style I plan to incorporate, which is very similar to other videos of the same tempo from my genre. For example, one of the editing techniques I plan to use is slow motion, but only slightly in scenes such as where one of my characters is running away from the other, to symbolize their break up.

Barthes' Five Codes;
Proairetic Code - My video follows this proposed code because at the beginning, the couple are going to be holding hands, and as I zoom in they will gradually let go of each others hands. By witnessing this event, the audience can understand that the rest of the video will be about their break up, and that the parting of hands represented that they are no longer together.

Cultural Code - I'm not quite sure whether or not my video could be considered to follow Barthes' cultural code, however I feel that it does in some ways. My video concept's narrative is based upon a young couple breaking up, which we see a lot of in society, and the lyrics make this obvious. Therefore I believe that because the audience will already have a clear understanding of what goes on in a break up, provoking their preexisting ideas based on the cultural stereotype of a couple experiencing this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment