CD COVER - TEST PIECE

To make a start playing around with images and effects, I found this wallpaper online, and was drawn to it because of its colour pallet. The blue/green/grey colour is exactly what I wanted to incorporate into my work, as you can see by my earlier mood board. These colours are also the colours that I am aiming to capture in my moving image in my chosen setting of a forest. Furthermore, I noticed that this wallpaper was worn and dirtied, and looked like it had been exposed to sunlight for too long, which is something that appealed to me, so I decided to use it as a test piece in preparation for my final piece. The raw image was too bright, so I altered the exposure in order to make it much darker, allowing me to use an off-white font.

I got my fonts from www.dafont.com and decided that I wanted a thin font that looked similar to handwriting. The full title of the song is 'Please Let Me Go' however I felt that this was too long and didn't give me a lot of scope for layout. Because of this, I decided to shorten the title, making it a much smaller and much more aesthetically pleasing three worded title with equally weighted words; 'LET ME GO'.

As soon as I put this font onto my wallpaper I knew that it was way too thin and couldn't be seen against such a busy background image. This lead me to find the font to the right- a similar but much thicker font that stood out against the background and was clearly legible. At first I thought that I wanted to place the font towards the bottom of the image. I had it smaller and in the right hand corner, however I decided that the weight of the font called for it to be larger, so I made it the width of the image. The image doesn't have a focal point, so I have made the title the focal point, putting it in the very center and making it the aspect that the viewer would notice at first glance.
To try out a few different versions, I increased the brightness of the background as I felt that I wanted less of a contrast between that and the title. I was pleased with how this turned out, and felt that the title was much more visible and strangely stood out more than it did against the darker background. Alternatively, I also made a grey-scale version of the image which I also quite liked, however this has proved to me that I want to use colour, as the black and white version doesn't link as well to my vintage vibe or colour pallet of my location.

No comments:

Post a Comment