ADDING TEXT

At first, I thought that I definitely wanted to keep the text the same as on my previous test piece as shown below, using a modern serif typeface called 'Nueva Std'. As previously mentioned, I feel that this font is exactly what I was looking for; a serif font that is formal, but not too formal and as regocnisable as Times New Roman.
Obviously I coloured the text on my previous attempt to match the pallet of the image, so I had to choose a colour that I felt matched my new colour scheme. I knew that I needed a dark colour to contrast against the pale cream 'ripped' area where I would place the text. Using the colour dropper tool I chose a dark indigo shade from one of the darker areas of the pattern. I typed out the same text where the album title was a bigger point size than the name of the artist;
LET ME GO
JONATHAN GRAY

Similar to my first attempt, I wanted to have the top of the letters on the smaller artist name touching the bottom of the letters on the larger album title. Having the two touching meant that I eliminated any uneccessary white space between the two pieces of text, and also meant that it had a much more professional look, as shown below.
The next step was deciding where to place the text. Like on my test piece, I originally thought that I wanted to left allign the text, however I didn't want to dive straight into this in case I preferred a different arrangement. I decided to try positioning these text layers in the centre of the white ripped strip, with the smaller artist name alligning directly in the centre of the larger artist name.

FONT CENTRED
As you can see, the shape of the rip meant that the text was either covered by the pattern or was surrounded by too much white space. The letters NATH over lapped with the pattern slightly too much on the artist's name, meanwhile the letters E and G on the album title were too far away from the pattern, creating dead space which gave the image and overall unprofessional look, like the text had just been slapped there without any consideration as to the aesthetics of the whole cover.

TIMES NEW ROMAN
Having not tried any other fonts properly, I decided to see what Times New Roman would look like as my chosen font, just in case I preferred it more that the font I originally chose. I didn't want to use that font on my final piece having not tried any others, as I felt I may be limiting myself to posibilities for a better cover. The image to the right shows my cover with Times New Roman as the main font, and personally I really don't like how it looks. The letters are far too wide when enlarged to that size, and the typeface in general is too "boring" and well known. This has made me much more confident that my choice of typeface was the right one, and that I shouldn't change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment