INSIDE DIGIPAK - right side

Now that I have the left side of the inside cover completed, I need to start work on the right. Obviously this is where the CD will sit, so I couldn't make it as detailed as the left side as it wouldn't be seen. Because of this, I decided to design the actual CD skin that will go on the disc. Typically a CD skin would have the album and artist name, so that when it's separated from the cover it is still distinctly obvious who the CD is by.

At first I thought I wanted to use the wallpaper from the front and back covers for on the disc, to keep it in consistency with the overall 'look' of the digipak, so using a photograph of a blank disc I had at home, I overlaid the image of the edited wallpaper onto the disc to give this effect;




CLICK
TO
ENLARGE






The first disc to the right shows the wallpaper image overlaid onto the basic image of the disc, giving a subtle hint of the damask wallpaper pattern through the rainbow reflections that have been caught in the image. I was quite pleased with the way this turned out as it was very simple to do, however I did try darkening the image to make the pattern a lot clearer, which is the image that can be seen to the left. Looking at both of them together I personally prefer the first image, with its lighter appearance and much more muted use of the pattern, however I feel that the bold contrast and dark colour pallet of the second disc would fit my digipak much more, being in consistency with the dark wallpaper pattern on the front and back covers.

The two images I have created have some similarities to the Foo Fighters' live acoustic album Skin and Bones which uses a similar wallpaper type design to my attempt. Obviously the colour scheme is very different to my own, however this album was released in 2006, so I feel that this proves that my theme is universalistic and doesn't ever really go 'out of date'. It has remained popular in the 2000s, having been brought back in a vintage fashion to appeal to a young audience. A band as worldwide as the Foo Fighters also gives me confidence that if my CD was put on sale, that it would be successful with my target audience and hopefully a wider demographic. 


I chose to use the same image as the left side of the inside digipak, which was the darkish-cream background with added noise to make it look grainy and old. This was perfect as it matched the opposite side and is a simple image to go behind the disc tray. For the disc tray I added a few different vector shapes, such as the black spine and some small grey half moons to both the top and the bottom to make it look as realistic as possible. The image to the right shows the final template, ready for the disc to be added. I decided that I didn't really like the wallpaper-screened disc, so I decided to create a simple disc skin design.

Using the same murky green that I have used throughout the digipak, I created a vector circle and added a realistic version of the inside of a disc. I then created another vector circle in the very dark purple shade that I have used for all of the text on my digipak, and faded it so that it can only be seen slightly around the edge of the disc. This makes the round image look 3D, which is an effect that I quite like. I then added the album title in the same font, Nueva Std, and a small version of the record label underneath that. I much prefer this simple design to the somewhat "OTT" wallpaper designs. It fits the overall mood/look of the digipak and adds to the other elements to create a document that gives the artist a strong image and recognisable advertisement campaign.



No comments:

Post a Comment